Our family

Our family
Dave, Lily and I

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 5 In the Cotswolds UK - A Diamond Day (10/24/10)


















Today Dave and I drove back to our cozy Sheepscombe B & B thinking that WE WILL NEVER FORGET THIS DAY. A "diamond day" is a day that sparkles with beauty and brilliance. Here is what we viewed first when we went down the steps of our room to breakfast. I started thinking of Ps. 23...it's no wonder it says, "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He restores my soul." It was idyllic and scenic, peaceful and quiet.


We feel like we found a gem of a B & B. Here is a picture of the entrance.

After breakfast, we embarked in our car to two of the several villages in the Cotswolds, Chipping Campden, and Stow in Wold. Chipping Campden is known for their thatched roof homes. Each town has a main street named "High Street" where sheep were led to market. The Cotswolds were once a rich merchant area for wool, when wool was a huge commodity. Now, sadly, it does not get much money, so most sheep farmers here raise to breed and sell. Our village we are staying in is called Snowshill. It is sleepy with only one pub to eat at.

A huge thing Dave and I keep thinking about is the rich, and long history the nation of England has. Heritage and history mean so much. Most families hold on to their property, land, etc. The first B & B we stayed at in Bath had been in the caretakers' family for over 40 years. This one in the Cotswolds, a working sheep farm and now B & B, was the birthplace of the proprietors. Every place we go has antique furniture and furnishings....everywhere. While browsing in an antique shop in the first village, we met a woman who is American by birth, and has lived in England for 30 years. When I asked her about my obsevations about this, she said, "Americans are a throw away society". I thought about this and had to agree. Not sure all of what this means, but I think it means that we as a society, don't seem to have the depth of connection to our roots, families, and even property. Every home, shop, even shack, is made of stone...made to last and last for generations and generations. I wonder why we don't build homes this way back home? Wish we did. Here is a picture of a thatched roof house in Chipping Campden we loved.


Part of what made our day so fun was the freedom to poke our heads into shops, or discover random things like an old mailbox dating back hundreds of years, a charming window flower box, or to catch a cup of tea and a goodie. Dave told me he had the best apple turnover he's had in his life, ever! Might have to have some of those shipped back home! :)

How about this stone fence? While driving to the villages, this is what was common place. Gorgeous! Did I tell you that I, Rebecca, drove for ten minutes? It made Dave too nervous and was source of stress for both of us, so I pulled alongside the road and gave it up. It really was fun, but definetely nerve racking. I'll just have to start calling him "Jeeves." :)

After the villages, we drove to Blenheim Palace, one of England's most price royal places. Churchill was born here, but it belonged to royal people since 700 something. The grounds are massive, including gorgeous gardens and a lake, with a palledian bridge. We did not make it in time to get inside, but were blessed to walk the grounds for pictures outside.



I could just imagine taking a stroll with family or friends, or sitting in the field creating a painting...isn't this what I might have done in beginning centuries? Perhaps I've seen too many Jane Austen fields! Dave decided to take a jog across this field...what else would he do given such an open space?
























No comments:

Post a Comment